I love the way words can enter my body, move my mind and open my heart, energize my creativity, and spark my spirit. Recently, I came across these words, spoken by one of my own mentors, Bonnie Bainbridge Cohen, pioneer in the field of somatic movement and founder of the transformative body of work called Body-Mind Centering®. Bonnie has dedicated her life to exploring the worlds of consciousness, embodiment, and the movement of mind. It was with her guidance that I began my own journey into the realms of inner ecology and found my deepest roots in the nature of myself. Here’s what Bonnie recently shared:
“What we call weakness is often not a lack of structure, but a lack of process. When that process is actualized, we experience strength. Process is based on relationship.”
Big deep breath.
All things, dear reader, return to the source – connection.
How do you find connection with the truest nature of yourself? What enlivens your body? Your mind? Your spirit? What processes do you have in your life to make abiding relationship with your Self – your whole Self?
As each day grows shorter and darkness grows to surround more of our waking moments, what might you find if you turn toward your own inner light? That wise voice that arises from the depths of your bodymindspirit? What needs tending for you now? How can you gently make relationship with what lies in shadow?
Begin with your breath.
- Gently allow your breath to enter your nose and throat, and fill your lungs and deep belly.
- Release the air out through your mouth, and pause until the next breath is drawn inward.
- Close your eyes, and simply notice what sensation is calling your attention?
- With your breath, gently greet this sensation. Be curious. Be thankful.
- Now notice another sensation somewhere else in your body.
- And invite your breath to gently greet that sensation, too. Again, bringing curiosity and gratitude to each greeting.
- Practice this for as long as you like. When you are ready, open your eyes to receive the light, colors, textures, and shapes around you.
- Notice any thoughts, feelings, memories, or visions that come forth to support your small moments of greeting yourself.
Take a few moments to draw or write about your experience. And share with us below. What might grow within you, strengthened by this process?